AGENT ORANGE GMO
Why care about eating GMO foods?
Despite its wealth, America is #28 in health for developed countries.
If you do nothing else to improve your health, cut out high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) and learn how to cook! Hfcs is almost always GMO because 89% of US corn is GMO. The most obvious reason to not eat GMO foods: GMO crops are covered with herbicides because the food crops were specifically engineered to not die when sprayed with specific herbicides (to save agribiz money). The crops are sprayed repeatedly with at least one herbicide (often Roundup). It is Roundup’s active ingredient (glyphosate) that was declared a probable carcinogen in 2015. The chemical company Monsanto created Roundup, and with it, the first GMO food crops.
A chemical company that helped power the Nazis (Bayer) now owns one of our biggest GMO food producers (Monsanto). After WWII, the Allies jailed Fritz ter Meer, head industrialist for Auschwitz. When he was released, Bayer asked him to be on their board of directors. Later, he became their CEO.
There is a new practice which creates double and triple stacked GMO food ingredients. That means soy and corn, the basis of our premade foods and our livestock feed, have residues of two to three herbicides which have not been tested for their interactions with each other or their interactions with the chemistry of pregnant women and children. see Herbicides Sticking to Dinner & Snacks
Most American corn products (like high fructose corn syrup) are likely carcinogenic because they contain the residues of a chemical which was declared a probable carcinogen in 2015. A huge amount of our processed foods, bread, candy, frozen pizza, and almost all our sodas, contain high fructose corn syrup. Even Heinz Ketchup has it! America is the #1 consumer in the world of high fructose corn syrup. That helps explain our high cancer rates despite fewer people smoking. Also cancer feeds on fructose to power its explosion of cells. High fructose corn syrup's presence in many processed foods and almost all sodas helps explain our big uptick in diabetes.
GMO foods are US mainstream food. Corporations spent over $192,800,000 in just three years to block mandatory labeling. Not the banning of GMOs, just the labeling of them in America! There are 64 countries which require labeling or ban them from being grown or consumed in their countries. This includes countries whose companies make GMO foods for the American market. (German Bayer & BASF and Swiss Syngenta).
If GMOs were good for us, the companies making money on them would be bragging about their foods containing them, not spending almost $200 million preventing labeling.
Here are some reasons why America is #28 in health for developed countries.
- American adults (both genders) have 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer. see adults & cancer
- In America, diabetes diagnoses have risen over 400% since 1980.
- GMO foods are in the mainstream food supply in the US. However, 64 countries require labeling or ban them from being grown in their countries. GMOs are the most likely culprit driving the illness statistics: we have been eating this stuff since 1994 when Roundup Ready (RR) soy came on the market. Four years later, RR corn was grown and served up. According to a GMO food lab manager interviewed in the film “Food, Inc,” 80-90% of prepackaged foods have GMO ingredients. Unfortunately, many Americans don’t know what they are eating.
- 79% of American corn creates its own pesticide (Bt) as a result of GMO engineering.
- 89% of of American corn is herbicide resistant GMO.
- 94% of American soy is herbicide resistant GMO
- Most of our prepackaged foods, including many condiments, are GMO.
- 50% of the sugar sold in the US is from the GMO sugar beet
- Almost all hfcs (high fructose corn syrup) is GMO
- Childhood cancer in the US has gone up 37% from 1970 to 2015. see Kids & Cancer
- Autism has skyrocketed from 1 in 10,000 kids in 1970 to 1 in 60 by 2015. see Surge in Autism
- According to the government, only 5% of child cancers are genetically caused. Are we using our kids as lab rats instead of proving first, after years of testing, that these engineered foods are safe for them?
We will be eating these residues as well. The long term effects on human health, particularly, children’s health, of these multiple chemical residues in our foods, has not been studied.
If we are #28 in health now for developed countries, what number will we be after these “new generations of double and triple stacked” herbicides are sprayed repeatedly on our staple food crops? This may mean the $125 billion the US spent in 2010 to beat cancer will be dwarfed by what we’ll have to spend in 2020 or 2030. Ironically, Bayer AG (the German aspirin company) makes anti-cancer drugs e.g. Xofigo93 despite its buying Monsanto which has made a fortune from a “probable carcinogen.” “Bayer AG is packing more cancer drugs into its pipeline to gain a bigger share of the almost $100 billion global market for such treatments.”
Bayer has experience experimenting with medical problems from decades ago, when it was an important sector of IG Farben, the huge chemical powerhouse which was the biggest donor to Adolf Hitler’s 1st election. During WWII, IG Farben purchased prisoners of war to be used for pharmaceutical experiments at Auschwitz, a Nazi concentration camp. After the war, the Allies sent Fritz ter Meer, the IG Farben chief industrialist for Auschwitz to jail for 7 years. Four years after his release, he was named Bayer’s Chairman of the Board.
The political center/right of this country dismisses organic produce/meat by calling it an elitist liberal thing. It is neither (though it is pricey for sure now), but before 1930, everything grown was organic. Pharmaceutical drugs entering the US market have to be tested for years, but not our scientifically constructed foods. GMOs have entered mainstream food supply because the FDA said they were “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) with no proof that they were. The fact that we don’t have long-term studies done on these foods that affect hundreds of millions of us is a travesty. The costs: physical, emotional and financial will be going up unless we change what we eat.
THE GOOD NEWS: WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR FOOD INTAKE
Corporations’ major selling point of GMO food is that “it will feed the world.” They hope so. The GMO food corporations’ profits will increase when they feed the world. It’s all patented seeds and it is illegal for farmers to save seeds from their plants and not buy every year from the patent holder. New And of course, if they are also into “providing anti-cancer medications” like Bayer, their profits might soar. The corporations’ first obligations are to their shareholders. Not to us. Not to our kids. Not to our grandkids. We need to vote with our wallets at the checkout registers. If we eat as well as possible, and cut out as much of the GMOs in our diets as possible, it won’t matter that our politicians don’t have our backs. We will. If you do nothing else to improve your health, cut out high fructose corn syrup.
Some Source links are outdated and not working.
Thanks for your patience.