SURGE OF AUTISM
And for kids, it is not just cancer that has seen a surge in cases. Autism has skyrocketed in the USA from 2 in 10,000 kids in 1970 to 1 in 68 kids in 2015. Improvement in diagnosing does not explain that intense increase. There are several known factors adding to the uptick in autism diagnoses.
- Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder which is at least partly a result of chronic low grade inflammation of the brain.
- In addition, “Manganese deficiency can explain many pathologies associated with Autism.”
- “Autism is also associated with mitochondrial impairment” and that may be related to manganese deficiency. Mitochondria are parts within a cell that are important in the breakdown of food molecules to release energy.
Another part of the equation is inflammation. To understand this part of the equation, we need to understand the role of bacteria in our bodies. We have many more bacteria than cells in our bodies and we have about 3 trillion cells! Our guts have over a million bacteria most of which are good, some bad. Glyphosate is an anti-microbial and biocide. By killing off the good bacteria in the soil, it acts as an herbicide. Proving this point: it doesn’t kill plants grown in sterile soil. It turns out our good gut bacteria aren’t just good; they’re necessary for a healthy body. There are studies of how the health of the good bacteria in our guts controls the health of our entire bodies.
- For people, glyphosate seems to kill off more of our guts’ good bacteria than the bad bacteria.
- Just recently, science has learned that one of the approximately 500 bacteria species in our gut, Bacteroides fragilis, releases a chemical “capable of directing how the developing immune system matures.”
- Inflammation is the immune system’s response to an attack on the body.” Chemical irritants “or toxins will cause inflammation.”
- The toxins in the GMO foods may be triggering the brain inflammation underlying autism that Dr. Seneff writes about.
Another good gut bacteria: the Lactobacillus, protect us from toxic stressors. Lactobacillus need manganese to protect the body from toxicity. Unfortunately, the #1 herbicide used in our country, Roundup, contains glyphosate. This active ingredient is known to severely deplete manganese uptake by plants.124
That is not the only essential mineral that glyphosate prevents plants from giving to us when we eat them.. But by starving Lactobacillus of manganese, it “reduces their numbers in our gut which leads directly to neurological symptoms such as anxiety, due to the influence of the gut-brain axis.”
Manganese is necessary for another brain/health issue: a part of the brain called the hippocampus, when deprived of enough manganese, induces seizures. A high incidence of seizures is found in autistic children.
- One of the ways glyphosate reduces our intake of necessary amino acids is through its blocking of the shikimate pathway.
- “The shikimate pathway is a seven step metabolic route used by bacteria… for the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids (phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan).”127
- Those are “essential amino acids” which means our bodies cannot make them; we must get them from our diets. Among other things, tryptophan is needed for normal growth for infants and nitrogen balance for adults.
Monsanto makes no bones about their product obstructing the process of the shikimate pathway. This is from their website in March 2016: “Glyphosate is an inhibitor of … (EPSPS), a well-known enzyme of the shikimate pathway for aromatic amino acid biosynthesis that is ubiquitous in plants, fungi, and bacteria. Plants, including weeds, exposed to glyphosate are unable to produce aromatic amino acids and hence die. The aromatic amino acid biosynthetic pathway is not present in mammalian, avian or aquatic animals. This explains the … low risk to human health and the environment from the use of glyphosate.”25 The company rejects claims that their products damage human health, by pointing out that humans do not have a shikimate pathway. (Italics are authors’.)
But in 1983, Dr. Klaus Herrmann of Purdue University proved that humans have beneficial bacteria that use their own shikimate pathways. This was eleven years before the first Roundup Ready crop entered supermarkets. Since we are eating residues of Roundup from our GMO foods, some of our “good” bacteria are being compromised, maybe severely. And it has been proven that our guts’ good bacteria is essential for good health.
Dr. Seneff of M.I.T. believes the huge uptick in American kids with Autism mirrors the huge uptick in how widespread glyphosate has become. In 1974 it came on the market as part of the herbicide Roundup. Its use really took off with the sales of Roundup Ready crops into the mainstream food supply. By 2012 the USA was using 280 million pounds of it. The dates dovetail exactly with the current statistics in America’s Autism rates which are over 100 times what it was in 1970.
Autism has been around for a long, long time but only in the last 40 years has its prevalence skyrocketed. Although, this probably means there are several causes of it, our knowledge is woefully inadequate when it comes to our understanding the consequences of our eating GMOs. Scientists have recently been shocked to discover that a few of our genes are bacterial in origin.
- In 2013, scientists discovered something else about our DNA.: that “genomes use the genetic code to write two separate languages. One describes how proteins are made, and the other instructs the cell on how genes are controlled. One language is written on top of the other, which is why the second language remained hidden for so long.”11
- That there are 2 languages for cells was figured out almost 20 years after the EPA and FDA approved the first genetically modified food crops for mainstream food supply.
- This does not inspire confidence that our federal government is ahead of the curve on the effects of what goes into the mainstream food supply. What else isn’t known yet that needs to be, in order for our kids’ and grandkids’ foods to not harm them? Is it possible our kids and grandkids are being used as guinea pigs?
(Please see “Herbicides Sticking to Our Dinner” section & “Engineering GMOs + Frankenfoods?” section)